- Submitted: Oct 02 2012 08:18 AM
- Last Updated: Oct 03 2012 07:44 AM
- File Size: 13.34KB
- Views: 469
- Downloads: 94
Download Thomas Dryland - Disabled Students Officer - Manifesto.docx
Hello my name is Thomas Dryland, I am a third year student majoring in International Relations. I am hoping to be your new Disabled Students Officer at the University of Portsmouth, this is because I have the experience of overcoming my disability, which has given me the drive necessary to make changes for the better.
I was born with a serious heart defect which culminated in me receiving a Heart Transplant seven years ago, and which continues to have a serious effect on the quality of my life. I have overcome many problems such as social exclusion, bullying, discrimination and problems with my health limiting my attendance. Throughout my life and throughout my time as a student at Portsmouth I have faced many challenges associated with disability, such as lack of awareness of the needs and requirements of disabled students. Over the two years I have already spent at Portsmouth and by speaking to many people, there appears to be a particular lack of awareness about mental disability.
I believe the Student's Union and ASDAC provide a comprehensive and professional service to disabled students, however this can always be improved upon and maintained. It is my belief that University can be a memorable and exciting experience, and disabled students shouldn't feel excluded from this.
Continuing the previous officer's attempts to promote anti-stigma and believing that a greater awareness on behalf of the faculty and larger student body, coupled with a heightened expectation from disabled students on what the University can provide, I can create a more accessible and inclusive environment. This can be achieved by the following commitments:
1. To improve access and promote greater participation of disabled students in as many societies as possible, particularly sports activities.
2. To establish a disabled students association which can be used as a means of communication and networking between the disabled students at the university and also to provide signposting for disabled students with grievances.
3. To initiate and maintain an anti-stigma campaign on mental and physical disability.
4. To provide representation and provide a voice at student councils and other decision making bodies to voice the interests of disabled students.
I look forward to having the opportunity to improve disabled students' experiences at this university.
VOTE THOMAS DRYLAND NUMBER ONE FOR DISABLED STUDENTS OFFICER!!!
Other files you may be interested in ..
Nov 21 2013 09:18 AM
Sep 09 2013 10:22 AM
Sep 09 2013 08:55 AM
Feb 27 2013 01:10 PM
Feb 27 2013 01:08 PM
Feb 27 2013 01:07 PM
Feb 27 2013 01:06 PM
Feb 27 2013 01:01 PM
- 453 Total Files
- 77 Total Categories
- 12 Total Authors
- 42,184 Total Downloads
- UPSU Brand Guidelines (v3) Latest File
- admin Latest Submitter
1 user(s) are online (in the past 15 minutes)
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Google Mobile (1)