Choosing who you should live with next year
Although it's too early to be choosing your student accommodation for the next academic year, we would suggest that now is the time to start thinking about who you want to live with. Here are some tips for making your decision.
Before you start looking at properties, it's important that you consider which of your friends would make a suitable housemate. Thinking sensibly about your housemates could help prevent any tensions in the future and will help ensure you have a great year at university.
Remember that most contracts will run for a full year, so it is important to ensure no issues arise during your time living with these people. Though it can be hard telling a friend that you don't want to live with them, it is often much easier than losing the friendship altogether over lifestyle clashes!
Answer these five questions to determine how compatible your friends are to live with:
- Do you have common interests such as music, cinema, sport etc?
- Do they have any bad habits which could annoy you over time? E.g. Smoking, laziness, poor hygiene.
- What is their attitude towards housework?
- Are they a night owl or an early bird?
- How sociable/private are they? Does this mirror what you are looking for in a housemate?
Head to the Housing Fair on Tuesday the 4th of December in the Union for some initial advice on what to do when searching for a house. We would suggest to start thinking more seriously about your accommodation from January onwards.
Like this article? Share it!