Self care

Beating the winter blues

Student life isn't always a big party like some might expect. Homesickness, exams and social pressures can all play a part in how you feel and it's normal to be finding things touch.

When things are difficult it can be tempting to keep things bottled up inside. However sometimes this can make you feel worse and have a negative impact on your health. Opening up to someone can make you feel better, but who is best to talk to? 

Talk to someone close to you

Is there someone that you trust? A friend or family member? Talk to them. It's okay to open up and tell your friends how your feeling. Whether it's someone whose a great listener, distracts you from a low mood or has the best knock-knock jokes in the country. 

Speak to your lecturers

If you're worried about speaking to someone you know more personally, another great option is to speak to a staff member on your course. It's a good opportunity for you to get things off your chest and discuss how your work is being affected by how you're feeling. If you're not Fit to Sit any upcoming assessments, they can help you complete the Extenuating Circumstances procedure to extend your deadlines. 

Talk to the University's Student Wellbeing Service

The Student Wellbeing Service offers confidential help with a wide range of personal and emotional concerns and is available to every student at the University, free of charge. Whether you need wellbeing advice, counselling or mental health advice, the Wellbeing Service can help. 

Attend a Student Minds peer support programme

Student Minds is a student mental health charity in the UK dedicated to helping young people through what can be challenging times in their life. There is a range of useful information on their website, where you can find out more about the peer support programmes on offer. 

These support groups can be found at universities across the country and provide a safe, confidential space for students to talk and listen without judgement. Even if you want to just turn up and listen to what others have to say, that's okay. 

Talk to your GP

Once you're registered with a local doctor's surgery you can then see a GP, who will be able to advise you on what you can do next and how they might be able to help. 

Like this article? Share it!

You may also like...