We need a Student Trustee to help influence the strategic direction of UPSU!
9am, 8th July 2020
24th July 2020
We are looking for an enthusiastic student to sit on the Board of Trustees 2020-21 to help us develop student services and activities and influence the important decisions made by the Union. A strong and active Board is crucial for us as we endeavour to create an even better Union; one that is flexible and agile enough to react quickly to the changing needs and interests of our members and achieve our vision of ‘having a Positive Impact with every Portsmouth student’.
We are seeking a Portsmouth University Student with an enthusiasm for developing student services and student activities, who is able to influence the strategic direction of an organisation and can demonstrate effective leadership qualities. The right candidate will command confidence, have sound judgement and strong communication skills. We particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates and candidates with disabilities, as these groups are currently under-represented on our Board. We would also particularly encourage 1st and 2nd year students to apply for this position.
Please note, this role will start on the 1st August 2020 - 31st July 2021 (with optional opportunities between successful recruitment and 1st August 2020)
What’s in it for you?
- You’ll have the chance to represent and positively affect students like you
- You’ll develop a wide range of invaluable skills in governance, leadership, finance and strategy
- You will also develop important team working skills; you’ll need to be able to negotiate empathise, listen and communicate ideas or concerns effectively during board meetings
- It will look great on your CV, job applications or to future employers
- You will have access to a range of diverse professional networks, which means you are able to gain knowledge or scope out opportunities for the next step in your career progression
- All new Trustees receive a comprehensive induction training, as well as opportunities to meet elected officers and staff of the Union.
As a charity led by its values and guided by its students, the Union does this by providing wide-ranging services and learner support to the 20,000 + students of the University of Portsmouth. The Union is based in the centre of Portsmouth and turns over £1.7M per annum, employing approximately 35 career staff and a further 35 student staff. The organisation also works with over 1000 registered student volunteers and over 100 student groups.
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact Helena Schofield, President 2019-20, on 023 9284 3627 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: 9am 8th July 2020
Interview Dates: 24th July 2020
Please note that our shortlisting process is such that CVs will not be considered as any part of an application. Therefore please submit an application form only - any attached CVs will be disregarded. Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application.
How to apply
Completed application forms should be emailed before the closing date to:
Please quote the job title or reference number in the subject.
- CVs will not be considered as applications
- Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application
- Applications must be received before the stated closing time/date
- Applications may also be submitted by post, addressed to:
- Job Applications, University of Portsmouth Students' Union, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth PO1 2EF